Cranberry Apple Oatmeal
Mike is very picky about his apples. He really only wants to eat Honeycrisp apples. I really can’t blame him, Honeycrisps are delicious.
There must be something different about oatmeal, because I can use different types of apples in oatmeal, and Mike still likes to eat it. I don’t have to buy expensive Honeycrisp apples. Sure, I will buy Honeycrisp apples when they are on sale, but if I’m making oatmeal and some other type of apple is on sale, I just use that instead. I guess if the apple is cooked, Mike can’t really tell the difference.
We bought two Costco bags of Craisins from Costco because there was a coupon. I decided to throw some Craisins into this apple oatmeal, for variety.
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ¼ cup + 1 tablespoon dried cranberries
- 1 small green apple, diced
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- In a small pot, bring milk to a boil. Add rolled oats and reduce heat to medium.
- Add the apple and ¼ cup of cranberries to the oats. Stir to combine.
- Simmer until most of the liquid has been absorbed, about 5 minutes. Add vanilla extract, lemon juice and cinnamon. Stir to combine.
- Remove from heat, cover the pot and allow it to sit for a minute. Serve immediately, topped with the remaining 1 tablespoon of dried cranberries.
Adapted from The Oatmeal Artist