Dark Chocolate and Orange Oatmeal
I bought a large bag of oranges from the farmer’s market. I was so excited by how sweet the samples I tried were. I decided to buy the 10 pound bag of oranges. Of course the ones I brought home were not as sweet as the samples I tried. Well, to be fair, some of the oranges were sweeter than others. They weren’t bad, they just weren’t as amazing as the one slide I ate at the farmer’s market.
The result is that I could’t eat all of the oranges in the bag by myself. I had to find creative ways to use up these oranges. I decided to use them in Mike’s oatmeal, since I have to make oatmeal for Mike anyway.
Another nice aspect of this oatmeal is that it uses orange juice. I of course squeezed fresh orange juice from the oranges that I was trying to use up anyway. This recipe is a great way to use up multiple oranges.
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup orange juice
- ½ cup rolled oats
- 1 orange
- 4 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- Pinch of salt
- In a small pot, bring the milk and orange juice to a boil, over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, cut the orange in half and cut the orange segments out of the orange.
- Once the milk mixture has come to a boil, add the oatmeal. Stir in half of the orange segments.
- Once most of the liquid has been absorbed, about 5 minutes, add the cocoa powder and salt. Stir to combine.
- Serve hot, topped with the remaining orange segments.
Adapted from The Oatmeal Artist