Creamy Mushroom Soup
The grocery store near our house will periodically have sales on items which must be eaten quickly since they are going to expire soon. When I go to the grocery store, I like to look at that mushroom section to see if any of them are marked down. Since Mike doesn’t like mushrooms, I rarely get to eat them. As a result, when I see them on sale, I sometimes buy a few too many…
I also happened to have half and half in the refrigerator, which I also needed to um, dispose of. This is a nice hearty soup that can be enjoyed on a cold winter day.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 ounces mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 1 small onion, diced
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ cup half and half, or more if needed
- Salt and pepper, to taste.
- Melt butter in a Dutch over, over medium heat. Add garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add mushrooms and onions and sauté until mushrooms have started to soften and onions start to turn translucent, about 5 minutes. Add thyme and sauté for another minute.
- Add flour and sauté until flour is golden brown, about 1 minute. Slowly whisk in vegetable broth. Add bay leaf and cooking, stirring constantly until soup has thickened slightly, about 4-5 minutes.
- Whisk in half and half and cook until heated through, about 1-2 minutes. If soup is too thick, slowly add half and half until desired consistency is reached. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve hot
Adapted from Damn Delicious