“From Scratch” Pumpkin Pie
Another one of Mike’s all-time favorite foods is the Pumpkin Pie. This Thanksgiving classic dessert can actually be consumed year-round!
I semi-jokingly call this from “scratch”, as it was made with a can of pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix). The name “from scratch” is a joke that our friend “Tshay” called hers from scratch, when it was sourced from a can of pumpkins.
Note: Names have been obfuscated for the personal safety of the sources.
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 eggs
- 1 can (15 ounces) pumpkin*
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1 unbaked 9 inch deep dish pie shell
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- In a small bowl, combine sugar, cinnamon, salt, ginger, and cloves. In a large bowl, beat the eggs. Add the pumpkin and sugar mixture and stir to combine. Slowly stir in evaporated milk. Pour pumpkin mixture into pie shell.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350 F. Bake for an additional 40-50 minutes, or until a fork inserted into the center of the pie comes out clean.
- Allow the pie to cool on a wire rack for 2 hours. Serve immediately, or place in refrigerator.
Adapted from Libby’s Pumpkin Container label