Graham Cracker Chocolate Chip Muffins
We had some graham crackers in the cupboard which were haunting me. Every time I would open the cupboard, they kept saying “use me!” Unfortunately most recipes that I make don’t include graham crackers. I guess I could make a cheesecake (which I don’t like), or some pie which includes a graham cracker crust, but I’m not very good at making pies.
Instead I opted to make graham cracker chocolate chip muffins. They sounded intriguing. These muffins are so versatile! They can be eaten for dessert or breakfast. They aren’t as sweet as cupcakes, yet they are sweeter than regular muffins due to the graham crackers. They were a little difficult to make without a food processor. Mike had to manually crush the graham crackers. I wanted him to put the graham crackers in a zip top bag and “roll over” them with a rolling pin, but he chose to put the graham crackers in a bowl and “mash” them with the Vitamix tamper. I guess it’s similar to using a mortar and pestle, except it looked way more difficult and inefficient.No matter how you crush the graham crackers, these muffins are definitely worth making. They are amazing. They can be enjoyed with butter or even plain! These are even delicious a few days later as well!
- 1 cup milk
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cups sugar
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- ¾ cups milk chocolate chips
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup graham cracker crumbs
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- In a mixing bowl, add the milk, oil, egg, and vanilla extract and mix until incorporated. In a (different) medium bowl, add the flour, baking powder, salt, sugar and graham cracker crumbs and mix until well combined. Add the dry ingredients to the mixing bowl and continue to mix until all ingredients are well mixed together. Add the chocolate chips and stir again.
- Use a ladle to fill each muffin liner with the batter until it is about ⅔ full.
- In a medium bowl, add the flour, brown sugar, graham cracker crumbs, cinnamon and stir to combine. Add the melted butter and mix until the mixture is crumbly.
- Top each of the muffins with about a tablepoon of the crumb topping.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the muffins comes out clean.
Adapted from Tasty Kitchen