New York Strip Steak
For dinner, I was provided a rather large New York strip steak, which was available at the grocery store for a good deal, and asparagus, which Mike really likes, despite some of its negative effects (not negative health effects. Asparagus is very good for you).
For the steak, I just decided to go simple, especially since I just went crazy on the Tri-Tip Steak and made something with far more flavor than Kim would have ever wanted. So I went simple here, just salt and pepper. I used the BBQ and put it at about 50% heat and let it pre-heat a while and then cooked it for 6 minutes one side and then 5 minutes on the other. In the end, I thought that the meat came out quite well.
I served this with the garlic asparagus for a delicious meal.
- 2 (8 ounce) New York Strip Steaks
- Approximately 45 minutes prior to grilling the steaks, remove from the refrigerator. Sprinkle both sides with salt and pepper, to taste. Allow to rest (in a container) on the kitchen counter.
- Once steaks have almost come to room temperature, preheat the grill to about 50% heat. Once the grill is hot, place steaks on the grill. Grill for about 3 minutes. Rotate the steaks 90 degrees (do not flip them over yet). Grill for another 3 minutes.
- Flip the steaks over and grill for 2½ minutes. Rotate the steaks 90 degrees (again, this is not the same as flipping them over), and grill for another 2½ minutes.
- Remove from the grill and allow to rest for 5 minutes.
- Serve hot with your favorite side.
Adapted from Grilling Companion