Mini Deep Dish Pizzas
These “pizzas” are made by cutting tortillas into little smaller circles and then putting them in muffin tins. The little tortillas are then filled with sauce, cheese and whatever other toppings are desired.
I made the little tortilla “circles” by using the top of a can of salmon. On this can of salmon, there is a side that has a “sharper” edge, and the bottom, which has a dull, rounded edge. I used the “sharper” edge to make the tortilla circles. When Mike first started helping me make these tortilla circles, he used the duller edge for some reason and then started complaining about how difficult it was. I rotated the can by 180 degrees. For some reason, he then flipped the can over and started using the other side again. I think he wasn’t really paying attention when I showed him which side to use.
Mike seemed to really liked these mini pizza. The best part is that since you are making so many small pizzas, you can essentially make a variety of pizzas, using up leftovers that are in the refrigerator. I only ended up making cheese and pepperoni pizzas here since I don’t like pepperoni and Mike loves pepperoni. It also didn’t hurt that I was trying to get rid of mini pepperonis.
The sauce can be a little overwhelming, if you use a whole tablespoon for each mini pizza. Mike thought it was the perfect amount, but that may be just because he had mini pepperonis to balance out the flavor of the sauce. I felt like there was too much sauce. On the other hand, I don’t like a lot of sauce on my pizzas.
I used Awesome Sauce on these mini pizzas, but you can use your favorite pizza sauce instead.
- 4 (8 inch) tortillas
- 1 cup pizza sauce
- ¾ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 48 mini pepperonis
- Preheat oven to 425 F. Lightly spray a muffin tin with cooking spray.
- Place a tortilla on a flat, clean surface. Using a clean medium sized can, cut a circle in the tortilla, near the edge, using the sharper side of the can (this is usually the top). It helps to rock the can back and forth over the tortilla. Cut as many more full circles from the tortilla as possible. You can probably get 3-4 can sized tortillas from each tortilla. Repeat with the remaining tortillas.
- Place a tortilla circle into each of the muffin tin cups. Carefully press the tortilla pieces into the muffin tin so that there is an opening in the center.
- Place ½-1 tablespoon of sauce in the center of each tortilla piece. Sprinkle a small small amount of mozzarella and Parmesan cheese over each tortilla piece. If desired, top with the mini pepperonis.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until cheese has melted and tortillas are slightly crispy.
- Serve immediately
Adapted from Damn Delicious